WHEN I WAS A CHILD, I WANTED TO BE AN INVENTOR.
I'm happiest when I'm solving problems, and that's why I chose to earn my degree in Mechanical Engineering.
Since then, I've continued to specialize in sustainable product design. I'm interested in working with researchers, entrepreneurs and industry to overcome humanity's greatest challenges by leveraging cutting edge technologies. Through my work as a product design consulant, I have gained many years of experience in rapid prototyping, concept design, IP-rated sealing, microfluidics, project management, and energy efficiency. My greatest skills are creative problem solving, iterative design, sourcing, and technical communication.
I live in Vancouver, BC, and I love drawing comics, hiking, travelling, riding bikes and skiing. I've self-published 6 graphic novels, and my work has been featured in over a dozen anthologies, Make Magazine, Reader's Digest and the Toronto Star. I've travelled to South Africa, China, Peru, Japan, Korea, Thailand, throughout Europe, the United States, and across Canada and back. I still love roadtrips to adventure destinations in BC the most, and I'm always down for a good hike. I hope you can become part of my continuing adventures!
Since 2012, I've been a Mechanical Product Design Engineer for a design consulting firm.
In the past few years I've...
- Become lead mechanical designer on multiple cutting-edge products, including a cryogenic capture system for live malarial insect samples, a handheld waterproof ultrasonic detector, a device to assist in calibrating LIDAR systems, and a novel 3D printer.
- Led multidicsciplinary teams (mechanical design, electrical design, firmware) through multiple cutting-edge products, managing project budgets up to $200k, coordinating with a network of fast-turn manufacturers, and delivering functional prototypes.
- Led multiple cutting-edge research projects on microfluidic behaviour for fuel cells, including the design of several test rigs, test pieces and test procedures.
- Designed and produced a range of rapid prototypes using technologies such as 3D printing (FDM and SLA), laser cutting, CNC machining, cast urethane
- Liaised with a range of manufacturers to produce fast-turn prototypes, both domestically and overseas.
- Rapid Prototyping - Hands-on skills, Designing for 3D Printing, Laser Cutting, Sheet Metal - Assembly and Testing
- Parametric Solid Modeling - Primarily in Solidworks (8+ years), but also in Inventor
- Design for Manufacturing - Detailed drawings for manufacture, and liaising with overseas suppliers for CNC machining, vacuum casting, injection moulding, laser cutting and sheet metal bending.
- Test Rig Design - Design of test rigs, test pieces and experiments for cutting edge research, primarily in the area of microfluidics.
- Project Management - Coordination of local and overseas resources, multidisciplinary team lead on multiple projects and client liaison.
- Technical Research - Thorough exploration and synthesis of information to create reports detailing the 'state of the art'.
- Technical Writing and Presentation Skills - Expert-level experience with entire Microsoft Suite and most of the Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Premiere)
More detail can be found in my portfolio, or you can contact me to request a CV.